Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Out My Kitchen Window

Looking out my kitchen window makes my heart happy, seeing my grass turn green, the patio furniture all clean, arranged and ready for use, birds and squirrels slowly coming around. This is my season. It brings to mind the childhood game, "I Spy With My Little Eye".

I spy with my little eye . . . the firm red buds of rhubarb peeking out of the ground, bright green shoots of chives growing right through its protective winter covering of leaves, peonies coming up, and tulips, close to showing off their blooms, usually a nice breakfast for the squirrels. I need to go to the garden store and buy some garlic spray to keep them away. Yesterday I saw a robin splashing, bathing itself in my birdbath, the first of the season. I smiled at the thought that I provided a place for this to happen.

Soon it will be warm, even first thing in the morning. Then it will be safe to uncover my garden, and I can watch each and every one of my plants push its way through the dirt. Until then, I have to imagine that it's happening, underneath the protective insulation of leaves. The early morning hours are my favorite, between 6:00 and 8:00. Once or twice a week I enjoy walking down the street to the newspaper box, dropping a few coins in the slot. That will be my morning reading material. Other days, I slowly page through magazines, catch up on the growing stack that's accumulated.

The neighborhood is still asleep. I can almost imagine that I live in the country, instead of right in the middle of the city.

1 comment:

Heather (MACK) said...

With the weather we have had in New York Im glad Spring has finally sprung..weve had really bad weather lately with rain and snow making some days below freezing...In APRIL!! Today is supposed to be a high of 66! i cant wait to go outside...Im also glad to see the green grass grow to, i wasnt to happy with it being covered by white stuff and mud:0)
Feel free to check out my blog and comment and give me some of your incite about my topics. have a wonderful day!