Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day 2007

30 years ago today, I gave birth to my son Matthew. Now, Matthew is a husband and father. The circle continues, and time continues to fly by. I spent Christmas Eve afternoon at home with three of my four 'children'. With them, came Dale, husband of Emily; Syndi, girlfriend of Jay; Juletta, wife of Matthew, and their children, my grandchildren, Eli (3), Emma (22 mos) and Joshua (9 mos).

My oldest son, Tony, wife Leah and their four children Celina, Sullivan, Oliver and Evelyn will spend today with Leah's family in Alaska. I don't think in all of Tony's 16 years of living in Alaska, he's ever come home for Christmas. We miss having him with us on such a special day, but I understand the difficulties of a family of six traveling across country, weather flying or driving. Very expensive, either way.


Last night, Christmas Eve, we all piled into cars and went to my mom's house for our extended family Christmas celebration together. My youngest brother, David, is sick, has been for 6 years, give or take. His frail condition and mortality hit me hard, as I've never seen him look quite so thin and wan. Yet, he seemed, as always, ready and happy to be talking and laughing. His spirit is strong, even though his body is so weakened. Hopefully this will be the year that he will be healed. It is my strongest feeling that he has Lyme Disease. All of his symptoms are those of untreated Lyme Disease. His tests have always come back negative, but Lyme Disease is like that - very deceptive, that is. I hope that his doctor will soon come around to treating David for Lyme Disease, regardless of what those tricky test results say. Treatment is intravenous, not just your run of the mill series of shots or pills. I understand why the doctor may be reluctant. Meanwhile, my 'baby brother' is a shadow of his former self.

In this upcoming new year, 2008, I will make David's health my first and foremost prayer.
I feel God at work in my heart. I don't know what He is doing, but I expect that 2008 will be a year of change for me. I welcome and look forward to what God has in store for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every year we think about how neat it would be for Tony to show up down there for Christmas... then we think about how sad it would be for the kids and I HERE without him on Christmas!

I'm glad you guys had a great Christmas, though. I get so sad thinking about Dave's health and how there just HAS to be an answer out there somewhere. We pray hard for him and often.

Love you,
~Leah