Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Summer of Kabobs and Marinades

After all these years of passion for cooking, this summer something new has at long last happened in my kitchen. I've discovered the joy and simplicity of kabobs. I've been using pork and beef, suitable for cutting into cubes. So far I haven't used chicken, but that's because I have so many other favorite ways of cooking chicken. I've made up a couple of marinade recipes of my own, as well as trying out my sisters favorite marinade - Western dressing. How easy!! She uses it for beef, but I've also tried it with pork and it was wonderful. My other favorite is bottled Teriyaki dressing with half as much orange juice, 1 tsp powdered ginger, a few smashed cloves of garlic, and a splash of sesame oil. I try to plan ahead far enough to marinate the cubed meats overnight. That gives me enough time to run to the store to pick up bell peppers, mushrooms, green onions, yellow summer squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, pineapple,etc. . . whatever grabs me for a good kabob. Did I miss anything? It's so nice to have cook up some rice and make it a complete meal. Marinating meats not only adds flavor, but it also tenderizes the meat and it seems to retain more moisture when grilling.

If you have any good marinade recipes or favorite kabobs, please fill me in! I love trying something new, especially when it comes with a recommendation!

2 comments:

Sue said...

I have to remember to try the Western dressing as a marinade. My favorite quick & easy bottled marinade is zesty Italian dressing.

Sue said...

Oh, one more thing! A great one for chicken...rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and a bit of brown sugar. We like that one a lot.