Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Precious Family

Today felt like Thanksgiving at my house. No, we didn't eat turkey, there were no pilgrim candles, and it's May 22, but I had so much to be thankful for. For the first time in three years, I had all of my children and their families all under my roof. What's the occasion, you ask? Tony (oldest son), Leah (his wife), Celina (12), Sullivan (8), Oliver (6) and Evelyn (3), from Alaska, came to visit. They flew in from Anchorage, en route to Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Tony is in a Master's program there. They bought a car (via eBay!) which my brother had ready and waiting for them at the airport when they landed.

Also "in attendance" was my son Jay, son Matthew and his wife Juletta and their children Eli (3), Emma (1) and Joshua (2.5 months), and daughter Emily and her husband Dale. That's my four children, three spouses, and seven grandchildren. I couldn't be happier. Below is a picture of me with my grandchildren. I wish I could hold that moment forever.

Since there would be many young mouths to feed, my goal was to fix a lunch of very kid-friendly food. I got up early, began prep work for a nice lunch to feed them all. I made ham, macaroni and cheese, and glazed carrots. Juletta brought juice boxes, chocolate milk, banana bread and blueberry muffins. Emily brought ice cream, sherbet, and two kinds of cookies for dessert. We all ate so much that we forgot dessert! (what???!!!)

Sullivan was quick to figure out that I'm the one who taught his dad how to make our style of macaroni cheese, not vice versa. They are requested to bring it to all their holiday dinners in Alaska. Leah's family is now hooked!

After getting reacquainted, hugging, kissing, laughing, and catching up, our day came to an end. We have a few other family gatherings planned between now and Saturday.

None will be as special as this one, all of my children and grandchildren, with me again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful Deb, you look so happy! Love, Laura

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful time together!! The food was delicious, your house was welcoming, and the company was wonderful! I love all of your children and it was a pleasure to be all together, though the time was short.

Thanks for sending us the link to your blog. I don't think I knew about it before!

Love you so much!
~Leah