Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Best Granola

I did it. I perfected my granola recipe. It's loaded with ingredients to help lower your (my) cholesterol - Oats, flaxseed, walnuts and almonds. It's delicious!

'LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL' GRANOLA

Gather these ingredients:
5 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
½ cup ground flax seed
2 cups coconut
1 cup walnuts or pecans
½ cup matchstick cut almonds
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
¾ cup honey
¾ cup canola oil (I use Carapelli extra light olive oil but either is good)
1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 275. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Spread out onto a baking sheet. Place into oven, and stir every 15 minutes for 45 minutes. To finish, turn heat up to 325 for an additional 5 or 10 minutes to brown. Watch closely. It browns quickly and if it gets too brown it can taste burned.


This granola has all the best ingredients for for lowering cholesterol.

TIPS:
• Pour the oil into the measuring cup, and use the same cup for honey. The oil will make the honey pour out easier.
• If you want dried fruit, add it at last 5 minutes of baking.
• If there are ingredients that you don’t have on hand, substitute something similar. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, are interchangeable. Same with seeds – sesame, sunflower, flax.
• Cinnamon and vanilla measurements are to my taste. Make it your own by adding more or less of either.
• Clean up is quick and easy if as you put away each ingredient, as you add it.
• Set a timer for each 15 minutes. Losing track of time can easily ruin a whole batch of yummy granola.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MMMmmmm! This sounds so good! Of course, if I make it for this household I'll have to leave out the coconut. :) Weirdos, we are.

Things are good here. We're all healthy and happy. I have my first midwife appointment NEXT Thursday (April 3rd?) and at that time I think I'll be 12 weeks along. I'm less nauseated, and a little less sleepy most days. Starting to perk up a bit. :)

Love you!
~Leah