Tuesday, May 12, 2009

SMALL CONTEMPLATIONS

I’ve been contemplating the usefulness of my mom’s button jar. Why don’t I have one? I’ve collected buttons for years, in a pretty dresser dish. Did I have a button jar when my children were young? I don't recall. On my “to do” list… start a button jar.

What is more beautiful than old hardwood floors, sanded, polished, and made new again? The beauty and charm of aging, the imperfections of years gone by still evident, but the surface is smooth, proven every time the bright spring sun shines in the windows and I see every bit of dust! Wouldn't it be nice if society accepted aging in the same way? What if all we needed was put on a new dress and shoes, and the beauty and charm of our own aging was accepted?

2 comments:

Leah said...

Aging is a beautiful thing! As long it's someone ELSE, not me. :) Nah, seriously- some of the most beautiful people I know are quite elderly- and they are beautiful both inside and out. Or maybe it's their inner beauty that makes their outward appearance so attractive?

Sue said...

And how did I miss this post? I thought I was watching you so carefully. I not only like the aged and patina'd, I love the primitive mixed with the modern. Witness my poor co-worker who came to my home and thought I couldn't afford any good new furniture!